WE HAVE MOVED! Please navigate to: http://dbbaudio.com/2012/furman-powerport-repair/ to see the latest from dBB Audio!
I find it amazing how much equipment in an installed venue needs repair. Little things here and there, but they are things that I normally would think I would not find in an installed venue. This is a main example of that. How did the power cable get ripped out of the back of this Furman PowerPort?
The Furman PowerPort is a remote controlled power conditioner that has a 120V AC limit of 20A. These are also called sequencers as you can place a delay time for power up and shutdown. You would do this so that you can turn on and off your entire system with one switch terminal. In a power up sequence you want your sound board, then system processor, then amps to turn on so you don’t get any “POPS” while turning your system on.
Repairing this was no big deal, but I figured that I would post a few photos from inside of it.
WE HAVE MOVED! Please navigate to: http://dbbaudio.com/2012/power-supply-woes/ to see the latest from dBB Audio!
This last week I got the call that our soundboard in our choir practice room took a fiery and smokey trip to heaven and is not working! Turns out that the ac power fuse blew which was then replaced. Once powered on again, sparks, smoke and flames incued.
The board is a Soundcraft Spirit M12 which is a 16 channel board. The power supply was pretty easy to get to after removing 8 screws and disconnecting two wiring harnesses.
I shot the following photos of the power supply which has some pretty good damage. R24 burned a hole through the PCB board. The R27, R35, R36, R45, R47 resistors blackened the board as well as cracked from the heat. L2 boiled the casing and windings. Lastly the filter capacitor 100uF 400V has a hole in the side of it.
I called the Soundcraft USA parts department and they had a power supply module on hand for $137. So that is being shipped to the church and will be replaced and back in service about 1-2 weeks after the incident. It will be interesting to see what revisions they have made on the power supply board in resent years.
Not too shabby of a repair. Pretty simple really. The benefit of this mishap is that I will probably mount this mixer in a portable rack. Along with adding a few amps, wireless mic and a few eq’s will make a portable system for the church to be able to use whenever they need it. Which is something that the facility currently does not have.